SUMMER CAMP PROGRAMS 2017
Summer camps at the Nature Center are fun, educational experiences for all campers. Camp facilitators draw upon the Nature Center staff naturalist and the natural history collection to present a program designed to involve children in the wonders of the natural world. The classroom provides a headquarters for crafts, lessons, and shelter from summer heat and thunderstorms as the children engage in exploratory activities throughout the Nature Center. Each camp session offers creative themes using both plants and animals in its design, offering fun learning activities using STEM education (science, technology, engineering, and math) along with arts and social studies. As a member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, we celebrate the continuous promotion of making proper ethical choices for our environment!
We offer you four distinct camp experiences for your children:
- Early Childhood Camps are designed primarily for children ages 3-5 and offered to the child/parent combination with at least one parent/guardian accompanying the child throughout the experience. Our three (3) weeks will also have basic animal themes, early childhood discovery of shapes, numbers, and colors, along with socialization and group dynamics throughout the 3-hour day
- Kindergarten Camp is a great way to engage your five year old in the wonders of camp life, social interaction, communication skills, and self-expression through the arts. (options: pre & post camp care)
- Wild Weeks Camps are for children entering first grade through third grade this fall (2017). Camps will vary slightly during the seven (7) scheduled weeks with basic themes on animals, outdoor recreation, crafts, and group activities on the grounds. (options: pre & post camp care)
- All Taxa Biodiversity Camp is offered to youth entering fourth through seventh grade in the fall of 2017. This camp promotes critical thinking and citizen science as a means of collecting and analyzing aspects of our wild heritage.(options: pre & post camp care)
Grade Level & Class Size
- Early Childhood Camps: Mon-Fri., 9:00 a.m.-12 noon (child-parent combination)
- Kindergarten, Wild Weeks, and ATBI Camps: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (arrival time 8:15-8:30 a.m.)
- Pre-Care - 7:30-8:30 a.m. (additional fee, see below)
- After Care – 3:00-5:00 p.m. (additional fee, see below)
Registration is based on the grade the child will be entering in the fall 2016. Kindergarten and All Taxa Biodiversity camps have a maximum of 15 campers per session. Early Childhood camps have a maximum of 20 participants (parents and children) while Wild Week Camps have a maximum of 20 campers per week.
The primary goal is safety for campers and staff, and a positive camp experience for all. Camp staff is unable to provide one-on-one supervision for a special needs situation, but we would be happy to assist the family in making those arrangements with a care facilitator of your choice. Camp registration may be denied if the need is determined to be in excess to camp resources and capabilities. Parents are asked to discuss this need with Keith Mastin prior to registration at (828)259-8082.
Early Childhood Camps
- Registration per child/parent is $85.00 (Members of the Friends of the WNCNC)
- Additional participant is $25.00 (Members of the Friends of the WNCNC)
- Registration per child/parent is $100.00 (Non-members)
- Additional participant is $25.00 (Non-members)
Kindergarten, Wild Weeks, and ATBI Camps
- Registration is $175.00/week(Members of the Friends of the WNCNC)
- Registration is $200.00/week (Non-members)
- Pre-Care is $25.00/week (Members and Non-members)
- After Care is $50.00/week (Members and Non-members)
Fees include instruction, activities, snacks, all materials and a gift.
How to Register
Pre-registration is required with full payment to guarantee enrollment in the camp session of your choice. Registration begins February 20, 2017 at 10:00am.
Click here for a camp registration form (Coming soon!) or register ONLINE starting February 20.
You may also email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or FAX (828-298-2644) your registration, but full payment must be received to finalize your reservation. Payments on line will accept Visa or Master Card. Letters of acceptance will be mailed 3-weeks prior to your designated camp date(s).
A fee of $25.00 will apply to all cancellations. Cancellations must be received at least three weeks prior to the camp session to receive a full refund (minus $25 cancellation fee). 50% of the registration fee will be withheld for cancellations made less than three weeks prior to the session (plus the cancellation fee). No refund for cancellations made three days or less prior to the session. Allow four to six weeks for refunds to be issued from the time of cancellation.